Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Finally watched The Hobbit

The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey told a great story of good vs evil in the form of dwarfs plus one hobbit, against a lot of ugly goblins.  They go on a journey where a hobbit that has never left his home before finds out that he can be courageous.  He eventually wins over all of the dwarfs and slays a few goblins of his own.

Everyone I talked to had seen this in theater and loved it. I can see why.  The costume design, makeup, settings and special effects were seamless.  So on a huge screen, I bet it was stunning.  It was amazing to watch here at home.  The different landscapes as the group traveled were as near perfect as anything can get.  Even the darker, more gloomy places were amazing to watch.  I loved all of the design elements that went into the film.  The acting was solid, but I just could not get in with the plot.  It did nothing for me.
 
I have to admit though, my husband was the one who loved Lord of the Rings.  I watched to because it was a good story and looked great on tv.  I just never really fell for it.  Not my kind of story.  I love supernatural things, but I see dwarfs and think of Snow White being cared for in a forest.  Then the same thinking always hits me : Why does she need seven to get the job done?  Then I pull my mind out of the gutter and get down to the principle and the emotions those dwarfs stand for.  Finally remembering it is a kids movie. One I never liked. I over think things, but that is where the fun comes in.

Anyway back to the fighting dwarfs and hobbit.  The little hobbit saves the day and earns the respect he deserves from everyone.  They meet a few nasty creatures along the way, and for me that is that.  It is worth a watch just for the design and graphics alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment